[Tfug] Accidental extra netbook computer

johngalt1 johngalt1 at uswest.net
Thu Jul 31 18:49:01 MST 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bexley Hall" <bexley401>
To: "Tucson Free Unix Group" <tfug at tfug.org>
Sent: Monday, July 28, 2008 3:13 PM
Subject: Re: [Tfug] Accidental extra netbook computer

>> Thanks for the input guys.  I already intend to return
>> it; I
>> was mostly
>> curious about the protocol of returning an unsolicited
>> item.  E.g. should I
>> keep the original shipping boxing?  Will they send a box
>> and the postage
>> necessary for me to return it?  Will they schedule UPS to
>> pick it back up,
>> or do I need to drop it off myself?
>
> Contact the shipper.  *They* have to do the work, not you.
> You shouldn't have to "pay" (time/money) for their
> mistake.
>
> When I've been in similar situations, they've sent a
> UPS/FedEx
> guy out with a box to pick it up (on one occasion, a
> freight
> company came out to crate an item).
>
> If it is a *private* individual who has mistakenly sent
> something
> to me, I try to contact them.  Depending on their
> "attitude",
> I may take the time to box it up for them and run it to
> the Post
> Office *if* they send me prepaid postage.  On one
> occasion, I
> even drove an item to the original shipper.
>
> OTOH, if they act outraged or inconvenienced and expect
> *me* to
> bust my ass to cover their blunder,

Does this really happen?
If after all that, were anyone to question your motives,
(even if you kept it) I would call them a dumb ass.

> I reward their
> ungratitude
> by dropping the item in the trash.  (i.e., *I* didn't
> benefit
> from the transaction -- removes any opportunity for
> questioning
> your motives:

If this were to occur... what a waste that would be.
Gratituously trashing a new and useful piece of equipment
designed for FOSS out of some "moral" sense of, "At
least *I* didn't benefit from it."

All the fossil fuel created millions of years ago who
perished that ultimately created the plastic used in the
case... Wasted. All of the brainpower, effort, energy and
pollution generated to produce the item.... Wasted.

If in a similar scenario, and the OP were inclined to trash
the item, I would recommend to donate the item to a charity
instead. (but not to World Care)

> "Was I uncooperaive just so I could *keep* this
> item for myself?")

GOd forbid!

> I'll confess my tolerance for accommodating people's
> blunders
> has fallen precipitously in the past decade.  If *you*
> (shipper)
> can't be bothered with this item, then *I* (unintended
> recipient)
> can't be bothereed, either!
>
> <shug>

Do you do things where you rely on a team, or largely by
yourself?