[Tfug] FreeBSD update

Predrag Punosevac punosevac72 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 00:48:46 MST 2007

Release date for FreeBSD 7.0 is around December 12th. I think that your
worries about stability of FreeBSD 7.0 are baseless.
It is FreeBSD! It goes through thorough quality control. Original release
date was mid July but in FreeBSD world the code is not release until is as
stable as possible.
7.0 is a production release which means it will run Yahoo servers, some of
Google server (Google also uses Linux) and many more
important sites around the globe. I know people who run 7.0 in production
enviroment since last January (almost a year now) and
I am all the time on freebsd mailing list. I would see if there are any
problems.

The reason that ULE scheduler is not turn on by the default in 7.0 is
exactly because release engineering team is very cautious about
new scheduler. The old one was around since 4.4BSD but the big giant lock
for removed when SMP kernel was introduced.

zfs has some documented problems as it is in developmental stage (both on
Solaris and FreeBSD) but as you are not running huge Data Base or Data
storage you will probably not even use it.

6.2 is non-sense. If you want 6.2 you should actually install 6.3 which
will be released in January. That is legacy stable branch of
6.2 which will be maintained for people who will keep 6.2 in production
environment.

You are not running serious servers. You should be much more worried about
stability of idiotic applications which do not go such a serious check up.
That is one of the reasons I like OpenBSD as their packages are pached and
repached 5 times. They might not be the newest one but surely they are as
stable and as secure as possible.

You should not be mixing ports and packages if you want to keep updated
port three with portupgrade.
XOrg compiles in less than three hours in batch mode on a decent computer.

make BATCH="yes" install clean

I do not use OpenOffice but if I remember the installation from ports has
a non-trivial step as some Java packages (I do not use Java either period)
are needed and then you need to go and agree to Sun's licence.

I would really suggest that you look AbiWord and Gnumeric if you need MS
Word type office applications instead of OpenOffice.
Much lighter than OpenOffice and almost the same functionality.

Why do you get perl from packages is not clear to me?

Do not get me wrong. I have older rigs on which I use only packages but on
the new and main rig I would not use anything but ports.

Best,
Predrag