[Tfug] FreeBSD update

Predrag Punosevac punosevac72 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 01:19:42 MST 2007

I forgot to say. Since you will be running release version (if you decide
to install 7.0) you can install X during the installation of the base
system. The only reason people like to install it from ports is that they
actually like to snap the ports after installation and then compile
packages and keep them updated by portupgrade.

The same people usually run cvsup immediately after the installation and
then they rebuild the kernel, then they snap the port three
and compile Xorg and whatever.

That boils down either to running 7.1 stable or 8.0 current.
I have run stable in the past and I would be cool to run 7.1 stable. I
would not run 8.0 current even on the desktop.

Since you are not after latest packages I would just do complete
installation from 7.0 CD1 and install any available packages that you are
interested at from CD2. Then I would compile whatever else you need but I
would take the port three during the installation thereby making sure that
my make file are tagged for release.

Nothing fancy. Keep it simple.

Cheers,
Predrag