[Tfug] LPD vs LPRng vs CUPS

Ronald Sutherland ronald.sutherland at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 19:14:51 MST 2007

On Nov 13, 2007 5:15 PM, Predrag Punosevac <punosevac72 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have no doubt that it just works for noobs on the single printer
> attached to a single computer.

For me it just works... if I have a HP printer with an Ethernet connection,
I plug it into the network and go to the printers web page where I turn on
IPP, then CUPS seems to just find it (this assumes DHCP is working,
otherwise you got to find the static IP address defaults of the printer and
go from there). I also tell windows to print to that same web page address,
no print servers are involved, yet every computer on the subnet can use it,
at home this is good since only the computer printing and the printer need
power (opps... also the ethernet switch/hub/router/wifi/thing...). I find
some advantages to this at work also, since I can still print when the
Windows domain is acting up, but I can't print to any of the non-IPP
printers.