[Tfug] LPD vs LPRng vs CUPS

George Cohn gwcohn at simplybits.net
Tue Nov 13 21:34:42 MST 2007

Ronald Sutherland wrote:
> On Nov 13, 2007 5:15 PM, Predrag Punosevac <punosevac72 at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>I have no doubt that it just works for noobs on the single printer
>>attached to a single computer.
>>

> For me it just works... if I have a HP printer with an Ethernet connection,
> I plug it into the network and go to the printers web page where I turn on
> IPP, then CUPS seems to just find it (this assumes DHCP is working,
> otherwise you got to find the static IP address defaults of the printer and
> go from there). I also tell windows to print to that same web page address,
> no print servers are involved, yet every computer on the subnet can use it,
> at home this is good since only the computer printing and the printer need
> power (opps... also the ethernet switch/hub/router/wifi/thing...). I find
> some advantages to this at work also, since I can still print when the
> Windows domain is acting up, but I can't print to any of the non-IPP
> printers.

That's also how my home network is set up, HP Laserjet with an Ethernet
connection.  That way I can print to it from either of the laptops, my
XP Pro desktop, or any of the four Linux boxes.  I just used CUPS on the
Linux boxes to find the printer.

BTW, where I used to work, they didn't have any fancy print servers,
Windows, *ix or otherwise.  But all of the printers used an IPP Ethernet
connection and you just installed and mapped the pc to print to whatever
printer you wanted.

Since I had to generate reports for offices at various facilities, I had
nearly a dozen printers in my selection list, including two in Nogales!

George Cohn