[Tfug] LPD vs LPRng vs CUPS

Predrag Punosevac punosevac72 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 17:15:55 MST 2007

I have no doubt that it just works for noobs on the single printer
attached to a single computer.
That was exactly my experience.
But my feeling after playing with it that on the large network either just
work or I would
be screwed as the configuration files are not recommended to be edited by
hand.

Again I am not a professional system administrator and the fact that so
many applications
require cups-base almost prevents you from using LPRng. If I am not
mistaken you have to have clients
configured on every desktop and lprng daemon running. As LPRng installs in
the same place as cups-base
the trouble is obvious. I do not know how would one deal with it from the
top of my head.

You can tell people do not use Firefox of K3b because it needs cups-base
and my printer server doesn't like it.
I honestly think that CUPS was a quick fix for Unix printing but it is not
as well-thought as most people think.

Predrag