[Tfug] OK, XFCE on an older rig has lost it's mind...

Jim March 1.jim.march at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 02:20:54 MST 2007

Well I just fixed XFCE's panels :).

Solution: do an ALT-F2 and enter "xfce4-panel &" no quotes.  That
brings up panels - at least until next reboot.  Under
Settings>SessionsAndStartup select "save session on logout".  Logout.
Log back in and prestobingo, panels work.  Then DE-select "save
session on logout" so the user doesn't bork everything themselves :).

As to OpenBSD, I don't doubt you.

Thing is...I've got more app support in Ubuntu (as you say,
synaptic/apt-get ROCKS).  Ubuntu is what I personally use, and...I'm
trying to flat-out master it and do all my user support in it, at
least as much as I can.  You know?  I'm just over a year into this
Linux adventure, I'm learning a lot, I'm at a point where I can
support newbie users.

Barely.

If I stick with basically one system I'll be in better shape, y'know?
I can test stuff on my own box...and I just have the one :).

So for now, I'm not going to delve into anything else.

Jim