[Tfug] DVD-RW part II

Jim March 1.jim.march at gmail.com
Sun Nov 11 16:03:59 MST 2007

OK, there's your problem.  Each IDE "chain" (from each motherboard IDE
connector port) needs a master drive item of some sort, to "control"
that chain.  If there's a second drive on a chain, that needs to be
"slave".  Almost all IDE cables you'll find today will be "straight" -
no twisted section between the two drive plugs.  A twisted section
means the cable can select between slave and master - the outer drive
will be the master, and both on that chain need to be set to "cable
select".

So: there must be a master SOMEHOW, either due to a cable twist or a
master select - on each chain.  You can have two masters, one on each
chain, or run one chain with two drives, master and slave.  Three
drives mean two masters with one having a slave.

Finally, if the cable is straight, the position of the "master"
doesn't matter - it can be on either drive plug on the cable.  Only if
the cable has a twist section does position matter.

Jim