[Tfug] LPD vs LPRng vs CUPS

Predrag Punosevac punosevac72 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 10 13:40:26 MST 2007

Dear ALL,
I am engaged in a discussion on OpenBSD forum (mostly as a listener) about
Unix printing and I would like to hear
some opinion from hard core system administrators about differences of
these three common Unix printing systems.
I want to learn the things. Hence this thread.

I would especially appreciate opinion of the people who were managing
large printer servers (200-300 printers) and
their experience with editing printcap file. Any thoughts on security.
Seems to me that LPD as a system which comes
with the base installation of BSD flavours ( I am not sure but I think I
heard that Debian was using LPRng as default at least in the
past) has security advantage over CUPS.

I personally have used LPD but with apsfilter and CUPS and I will install
LPRng on one of my rigs just to learn little bit about it.

Any good impartial textbooks which go in detail about Unix printing.

Predrag