[Tfug] OT: discarded laptops

Linux Media linuxmedia2 at aim.com
Tue Sep 12 09:58:49 MST 2017

On 09/12/2017 08:42 AM, Mark Ross wrote:
> RISE recycles computers but I've had terrible luck with them. They
> provide a short warranty so I would spend that time running stress
> tests, cycle heat through the MOBO/CPU/GPU to see if anything fails.
> They say they test the things but they overcharge for the quality of
> things they put on the floor. I've also had to dust them out and put new
> thermal paste.

Hi Mark,

I wasn't aware of RISE. I just called them and got the scoop. They have
all windows installs and complete setups, but I may be interested in
their netbooks because they come with no window systems. Although I know
nothing about netbooks, so it may be an opportunity to see what linux
can do on smaller hardware.

Thanks for the information.

Rocco