[Tfug] And another one down

Harry McGregor micros at osef.org
Tue Sep 10 21:57:49 MST 2013

On 9/10/13 8:21 PM, Timothy D. Lenz wrote:
> So I think I'm down to 1 of these 2:
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&Description=ppssHGSTenterprise&bop=And&CompareItemList=14|22-136-798^22-136-798-TS%2C22-145-420^22-145-420-TS%2C22-136-533^22-136-533-TS&percm=22-145-420%3A%24%24%24%24%24%24%24
>
> Mainly the HGST and the enterprise WD. The WD has a 5 year warranty

The Enterprise WD has more cache, a longer warranty, and is specifically
sold for RAID arrays.

That being said, the HGST is an Ultrastar, not a Deskstar, so it's also
an Enterprise drive, and built for use in RAID arrays.  Yes, it's only a
3 year warranty vs a 5 year, but you are paying an extra almost 1/3 in
price (~$25) to get those extra two years.  I know the A7K2000 quite
well, and would be very comfortable with it.  That being said, all
drives can and will die, it's just a matter of when, so as always,
backup your data.

With the way drive technology is moving, depending on the number of
drives you are getting, you would probably be better off holding onto
that $25 and applying it towards a new drive in 3 years, then the chance
that you might end up replacing the drive under warranty in years 4 and
5 of ownership.  Of course for $15 you can add two years of extended
replacement service to the HGST drive which brings you to a full 5
years, and still a lower cost then the WD RE drive.

Here is the data sheet on the A7K2000, which is stating a 5 year
warranty, so double check the warranty with HGST by going to their
support page and putting in the serial # if you do buy that drive:
http://www.hgst.com/tech/techlib.nsf/techdocs/5EDA5472B7792D9D8625760A0003E88B/$file/UltraStarA7K2000_datasheet.pdf

-Harry