[Tfug] Removable carrier in USB case?

Zack Williams zdwzdw at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 21:24:48 MST 2009

> I often have to diddle with a PATA or SCSI drive
> (e.g., to wipe it clean).  Opening up a machine
> just to cable it to the MB long enough to do
> this is a real PITA.

My solution - have a spare machine (older dell P4) with no case with
just a CD drive and ATA/SATA/SCSI cables dangling out of it.  CD drive
has a copy of DBAN in it permanently.  Oh, and a keyboard and CRT
monitor.

Sits on a shelf in my garage, I can throw drives at it and wipe in a
few hours for reasonably sized ones.

Much easier/faster than comparable solutions with adapters.    Also, I
find that adapters often behave erratically with badly behaving or
broken drives, whereas direct connect you can get better diagnostic
information.

- Zack