[Tfug] A symlinks question, I think?

Zack Williams zdwzdw at gmail.com
Thu Jul 2 20:56:30 MST 2009

>> Locally, Elliot's electronics has a good
>> selection of analog cameras.
>
> Ick.  Elliot's is *so* pricey!  It bothers me each time I order
> mail-order that there isn't someplace locally to purchase
> components at "reasonable" prices.  I guess Tucson just isn't
> that big of a market...  (an order going out to Digikey as soon
> as I finish checking my mail)

I really only go there when I'm in a pinch and need something now, or
have to have hands on, which can be crucial with analog electronics.

> I thought about that but figured the camera investment is
> something I would prefer to be able to salvage even if the
> "capture" hardware changes.  Analog seems like the most
> flexible way of doing that (e.g., I can purchase a COTS DVR
> and connect them to it)

With analog it's really easy to get into signal issues...  where I
have ZM deployed is a 3 story building with cameras on the top floor
aiming at the parking lot, and the recorder is in the basement.  There
were some significant problems with chroma shift because of the
wiring. Long distance analog is a black art as far as I'm concerned.

None of that is an issue with IP cameras.

> <shrug>  Dunno.  This is one of those "try it and see" type
> projects that you can't really be assured of "getting right"
> just on paper...

Exactly!

- Zack