[Tfug] fail to read cdrom in ubuntu

JD Rogers rogersjd at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 08:58:55 MST 2009

>>I get nothing useful in dmesg, kern.log or any other places I know to
>>look. Somewhere along the line, mounting has become more complicated
>>than "mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /media/cdrom" and I failed to keep
>>up with how hal and other things deal with all this. Does anyone have
>>any ideas of how to even narrow down the possibilities of what is
>>failing?
>>
>>Oh, and "mount -t iso9660 /dev/sr0 /media/cdrom" returns "mount: no
>>medium found on /dev/sr0".
>
> I've been having the exact same issue, but with a Debian/testing system.  I'm
> trying to mount a CD at the command line and it prints the same message.

Woot, I'm not alone. Weird that I haven't seen it with my debian
unstable laptop though. Although, I roll my own kernel for my laptop,
so maybe it really is a ide vs scsi driver issue.

> My first thought was that somehow the drive must have broken, probably due to
> lonliness because nobody uses it at work.  Still, the tray works and the light
> stays on shortly once the disc is in.

Ya, it acts as if it is having trouble reading the TOC or something
and then times out. If you have lshw installed, it will report that
the drive has nodisc.

> So... maybe something *has* changed vis-a-vis CDs and mounting from the
> command line?  I was doing thing while in single user mode so the only thing
> running was udev... maybe it's meddling with things?

I spent way too long pouring through bug reports on Friday and saw
quite a few reports of similar symptoms, but they usually ended in the
conclusion that there was a hardware failure. I find that extremely
unlikely since I have two machines (1 AMD and 1 Intel, same cdrom)
that failed in the exact same way at the same time, i.e. after
upgrade.

Ok, I'm going to try an old kernel when I get a chance and see if it
is due to the change to scsi drivers. At least it's something to try.

JDR