[Tfug] Alan Cox: "I've had enough"--what else is new?

Bowie J. Poag bpoag at comcast.net
Sat Aug 1 01:21:26 MST 2009

Jim March wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 1, 2009 at 12:05 AM, Bowie J. Poag<bpoag at comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> Jim March wrote:
>>
>>> Glad you're happy with OSX.  Unfortunately it's a dead-end as far as
>>> support on non-Apple hardware goes: there is NO way you can install
>>> and support Hackintoshes for non-geek clients.
>>>
>> False.
>>
>> http://gadgets.boingboing.net/2008/12/17/osx-netbook-compatib.html
>>
>> ...My wife is about as non-geek a client as you can get, and she loves her
>> Hackintosh. :)
>>

> Bowie, she's your wife, so if she tries an OS update and Apple
> squishes her like a bug, you can sort it out.

The update process can't discern her Dell netbook from an actual Mac.
The hardware is the same, even down to the PCI device and vendor hex
IDs. Apple would have to deprecate huge swaths of their installed base
to eliminate a small portion of users running OS X on non-Apple
hardware.  Not only will they not, they legally cannot. Apple cannot
make laws, and they can no sooner make their OS illegal to use with
non-Apple hardware than Shell can make their gasoline illegal to use in
Buicks.

(You do raise a valid point, btw. Recently, Apple dropped support for
some older PPC-based Macs, and in doing so, did away with PS/2 device
support. So, if your laptop didn't use a Synaptics touchpad, you were
out of luck, until you found the hacked version of the PS/2 device
driver that would continue to allow native PS/2 devices to work.)

Cheers,
Bowie