[Tfug] Alan Cox: "I've had enough"--what else is new?

Jim March 1.jim.march at gmail.com
Sat Aug 1 01:02:57 MST 2009

On Sat, Aug 1, 2009 at 12:05 AM, Bowie J. Poag<bpoag at comcast.net> wrote:
> Jim March wrote:
>>
>> Glad you're happy with OSX.  Unfortunately it's a dead-end as far as
>> support on non-Apple hardware goes: there is NO way you can install
>> and support Hackintoshes for non-geek clients.
>>

> False.
>
> http://gadgets.boingboing.net/2008/12/17/osx-netbook-compatib.html
>
> ...My wife is about as non-geek a client as you can get, and she loves her
> Hackintosh. :)

Bowie, she's your wife, so if she tries an OS update and Apple
squishes her like a bug, you can sort it out.

>> But that aside: give us two or three more years, and we're going to
>> start to cripple Apple sales...and we'll do especially well in
>> recessions and/or depressions because Linux is BY FAR the cheapest
>> setup to operate.
>
> 1998 called. They want to know what the Linux desktop marketshare is.

No marketing.  That doesn't mean it's no good.

>> Christ, I just jet up a *complete* end-user setup just last night, for
>> $32 in hardware costs plus an old hard drive worth less than $10, a
>> nice old 17" tube display that ain't worth a dime anymore and it's
>> running Youtube/Hulu class video websites, it can play DVD movies,
>> burn CDs, etc.  Pentium4/512ram/60gigHD/NVidiaGEForce4 running
>> Xubuntu.
>>
>> Try THAT with a Hackintosh.
>
> Why would I want to, when I can go out and just buy a brand new Dell netbook
> for $200 I can convert to a Hackintosh that will last several years, have
> modern specs, be covered under a hardware warranty, and won't look like an
> absolutely ancient ghetto PC sitting on a desk?

Yeah, with an 8.5" screen and a "ghetto" video card (Intel 945?
Really?)  That "ghetto desktop" I just set up will blow it away...esp.
at serious resolution.