[Tfug] Dilemma: Qwest or Comcast?

Earl earljviolet at juno.com
Mon May 5 08:53:38 MST 2008

-- Matt Jacob <m at mattjacob.com> wrote:

>>   I like the idea of having my own dedicated line with Qwest, but their fastest plan will end up being more expensive than Comcast since I don't have a telephone package with them. (And they also have goofy first-year pricing that's about $10/mo. cheaper than usual, which seems exactly like something Qwest would do.) The speed would be 5 mbps down and 894 kbps up, compared with Comcast's 7 mbps down and 384 kbps up (I think those numbers are all correct).

I had Qwest for almost 3 years and was happy with them.  Here are some things I found:
1>  I could get the fastest package as an introductory offer in the neighborhood I was in near Broadway and Swan.  The best I ever got was 400 down and 256 up so I went with 256 and 256.  They were still willing to let me pay for the fastest.
2>  From the experience of friends, don't use MSN as a ISP.  It just sucks a bunch.
3>  If you call tech support ... NEVER NEVER NEVER tell them you are running Linux.
4>  Their line people were very helpful in getting the outside line up and running.  I had no problems after they got the initial problems solved.

Earl
"God made man, Sam Colt made men equal."
"The fates guide him who will, him who won't they drag" Spengler
"I want to change the world but they won't give me the source code" Unknown Linux Geek

-- Matt Jacob <m at mattjacob.com> wrote:
Let me start by saying that I currently have Cox, and I've been
extremely pleased with their service over the past year. I've heard
horrendous things about Cox's customer support, but thankfully, I
haven't had to deal with them since the initial phone call to activate
service. Unfortunately, I'll be moving further north in less than a
month, and that puts me outside of Cox's service area. Which brings me
to my dilemma...

Should I go with Qwest DSL or Comcast Cable? I've had Comcast in the
past for about 3-4 years, and I was never thrilled with their service.
I'm even less thrilled now that they're supposedly doing QoS filtering
against BitTorrent traffic. (I don't use BitTorrent myself, but I don't
like the principle of what Comcast is doing.)

I like the idea of having my own dedicated line with Qwest, but their
fastest plan will end up being more expensive than Comcast since I don't
have a telephone package with them. (And they also have goofy first-year
pricing that's about $10/mo. cheaper than usual, which seems exactly
like something Qwest would do.) The speed would be 5 mbps down and 894
kbps up, compared with Comcast's 7 mbps down and 384 kbps up (I think
those numbers are all correct).

So... less than stellar personal experience with Comcast, and I've heard
not-so-great things about Qwest. I'm kind of between a rock and a hard
place here.

What would YOU do?

Thanks,

Matt