[Tfug] FreeBSD vs. Linux

Predrag Punosevac punosevac72 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 22:10:10 MST 2007

Depends what do you want to do?

An obvious difference that FreeBSD is complete operating system. Linux is
kernel with the bunch of GNU tools
that depend from distro to disto.

Applications are however mostly common. Apache is apache, exim is exim,
MPlayer is Mplayer.

BSD was conceived at the University of California Barkley in early
seventies.
All present flavours of BSD (FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD and DragonFlyBSD)
are direct descendant of
the Barkley 4.4BSD

Linux was firstly coded 1993 by Torval Linux while 386BSD a first 386
version of BSD was in legal troubles with ATT.
Linux clone was based on the mix of V5 and BSD but the part which is POSIX
compliant should look very similar to FreeBSD.

There are deep philosophical differences.

Is this enough for the beginning? What do you want to compare in
particular. Desktop features?

Linux works better for Flash, Java, VoIP, web-cam, Linux ndis is better
and many other things related to WiFi drivers and
video card drivers. For a casual desktop user Linux is probably better
choice even though PC-BSD, DesktopBSD, RoFreeSBIE are
"desktop" distros of FreeBSD

Cheers,
Predrag

P.S. There are people in Linux gang who claim that their OS is better than
BSD and they are ready to kill to prove it.
There are people in BSD gang who claim that their OS is better than Linux
and they are ready to kill to prove it.
In reality both OS are quite good.