[Tfug] update on sound system

Malcolm Schmerl mjs355 at comcast.net
Sun Nov 25 20:07:24 MST 2007

Possibly, some of you might remember a thread a few months ago that I
started about computer speakers. I took an old Asus MB with an AMD
700mhz chip that happened to have onboard 6-channel surround sound and
added enough scrounged parts to make a basic computer to which I
installed Ubuntu 7.03. One of you suggested Klipsch Promedia 2.1
speakers. I got those off of ebay quite reasonably and they've turned
out to be fantastic. Who ever you were, thanks for the suggestion.
Ubuntu comes with some pretty nice sound tools. Sound Juicer opens when
you drop a cd in the cdrom. It gives you the choice of playing it or
extracting it to the harddrive. Once you've extracted the cd, you can
then drag and drop the icon for each track of the cd to the totem movie
player and create a playlist. The playlist can then be named and saved
in a convenient location. Anytime in the future when you want to play
that cd, all you have to do is click on the playlist. This is the best
sound system I've ever had and all for the sum of $56.