[Tfug] Anybody try "wicd" as a replacement for Network Manager?

Claude Rubinson rubinson at u.arizona.edu
Fri Nov 16 20:21:59 MST 2007

On Wed, Nov 14, 2007 at 10:02:37AM -0700, Glen Pfeiffer wrote:
> Have you considered Debian Lenny (Testing) instead of Etch?

I'll also throw out that running testing is a great way to give
something back to the community that has given us so much.  Testing
tends to be incredibly stable but, still, a few bugs do slip through.
By running testing, you have an opportunity to notice and report them.

I had run testing for quite some time, switching over to it maybe
about a year after it was created.  When Etch went stable, I decided
to keep my notebook on that--after all, I privilege stability over the
latest and greatest and Etch did everything that I wanted.

But it turns out that I really missed the opportunity to report bugs.
I'm not really a developer and I don't have time for package
management or documentation writing (one of the things that I've
really considered producing for Debian).  I also don't have the time
to deal with a system that could break catastrophically (i.e., run
sid).  But, what I can do is run the testing branch and report the
bugs that I do find.

I don't go out looking for bugs and those that I come across tend to
be fairly innocuous.  Many of them are rooted in the fact that I don't
run a full desktop environment while the package maintainer does.  I,
therefore, have a different experience than the maintainer.  In this
way, I'm able to provide maintainers a different perspective.  It's
not a huge thing but it's a simple way to give back.

Just a bit of prod out there to think about ways in which you can give
back.

Claude