[Tfug] Anybody try "wicd" as a replacement for Network Manager?

Glen Pfeiffer glen at thepfeiffers.net
Wed Nov 14 10:02:37 MST 2007

On 11/09/2007 11:50 AM, Ryan Cresawn wrote:
> I agree with you about Debian Etch (stable) being more stable
> than Ubuntu; however, in my case I would have a lot of work to
> do to get things working that work out of the box in Ubuntu.  I
> believe my Intel 965GM graphics card is not supported in Etch,
> Xorg is too old, and my high resolution screen, 1680x1050, is
> only supported by applying a patch to the 915resolution source.
> Plus, I know that the hda-intel sound driver and wifi card will
> both be headaches.  Still, I have considered installing Debian
> Etch since I'm sure I could get those features working with
> some work.  The one thing I know would work well is Wicd as it
> works great on Debian Etch on an old PowerPC iBook I have.

Hi Ryan!

Just food for thought...

Have you considered Debian Lenny (Testing) instead of Etch? I
have not switched to it yet, but when I started with Etch it was
Testing and I found it to be quite suitable for a desktop. Lenny
has Xorg 7.2-5. Will that work for you?

http://packages.debian.org/lenny/xorg

--
Glen