[Tfug] Gutsy vs. Feisty - I'm with Gutsy for most things, BARELY...

Jim March 1.jim.march at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 22:11:50 MST 2007

OK.  There are complaints coming in on Gutsy.  In my case Network
Manager blew up in my face, had to gut it and put in Wicd.  The
"automatic xorg.conf utility" should be taken out and shot as it can
turn your video into an unusable mess until you hand-edit xorg.conf
again.  I'd like to hear of any other issues.

On the plus side:

* Compiz is more stable in Gutsy.  I'm using a laptop with a lowly
Intel 945 chip and 3D is working MUCH better.  As a bonus, the video
players like MPlayer appear better "tuned" and able to play with 3D
enabled.

* Printer support is improved.  I have one user with an HP deskjet
that flat would not print on US Letter paper - it was stuck hard on
Euro-commie A4 :).  Gutsy fixed it cold.

* BROADCOM WIFI DRIVERS ARE BUILT IN - NO MORE NDISWRAPPER.  A number
of other WiFi adapters are likewise usable with zero effort that are
painful in Feisty if possible at all.

A few early Gutsy issues are already fixed, such as support for
Sky2/Marvell Ethernet chipsets...for a while I had WiFi working OK but
Ethernet borked.  How weird is that?

I see the situation as a bit like Edgy.  Early Edgy drove me to check
out other distros for a few months, but the grass wasn't greener.  By
the time I jumped back Edgy was fixed of a number of major issues and
Feisty was just a sweetheart even in late Alpha, and as somebody
pointed out in another thread, remains so.  I have a server install
out there in Feisty that I don't plan on upgrading under Hardy comes
out with LTS.

But for most users, I suspect the pluses outweigh the warts.

Note: the video weirdness is likely because a whole slew of upstream
xorg stuff wasn't ready yet.  My opinion, they should have stalled
Gutsy a month or two if it meant picking that stuff up.  As is, Hardy
will, I believe, kick major amounts of ass if, as is being discussed,
xorg.conf will be either completely gone or NEVER need editing again
(true plug'n'play on monitors and cards).

Other opinions REAL welcome, esp. if they involve Gutsy boobie-traps I
ain't run into yet...

Jim