[Tfug] Anybody try "wicd" as a replacement for Network Manager?

Predrag Punosevac punosevac72 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 13:55:25 MST 2007

From: "Predrag Punosevac" <punosevac72 at gmail.com>
To: "Tucson Free Unix Group" <tfug at tfug.org>
Subject: Re: [Tfug] Anybody try "wicd" as a replacement for Network
Manager?
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 13:52:56 -0700

On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 09:52:28 -0700, Glen Pfeiffer <glen at thepfeiffers.net>
wrote:

> If you are running Ubuntu, then I assume you accept many of the
> defaults, like Gnome as the Desktop Environment. You can do the
> same with Debian. Just install and choose the Desktop option
> somewhere along the lines, and you will be running Gnome and most
> everything will just work. It's no harder to add drivers for
> Debian than it is for Ubuntu.
>
> I have played around with Ubuntu as well, and here's my take on
> it. If it does what you want it to out of the box, then it's good
> enough (notice I didn't say great). If, on the other hand, you
> have to configure it, you might as well start with Debian.

I like very much what Glen wrote. I am very familiar with Ubuntu as
Department of Mathematics
uses it on Desktops (we use Debian on servers)
I have installed it for testing purposes on my computers and I have
installed it for few friends who
insisted on having Linux as they had no clue what is BSD.

If it works for you out of box it is all good.

There is similar thing in FreeBSD world called PC-BSD. Essentially
customized Desktop installation of FreeBSD
(KDE based).
If it works for you it is great. By the way it is really as easy as
Ubuntu. God forbid if you have to recompile kernel (which on FreeBSD is so
simple that my baby daughter probably could do it) or God forbid you need
to upgrade whole userland with
portupgrade -a. It would break system so badly that even developers could
not help you fix it (they openly recommend fresh installation from version
to version instead of upgrade).

In my experience choosing easy path usually mean that you will pay hefty
price latter.
If I had to use Linux, I would always choose Debian over Ubuntu, Mint or
any of tens of Distros based on it.

My 2c about the topic.