[Tfug] Anybody try "wicd" as a replacement for Network Manager?

Glen Pfeiffer glen at thepfeiffers.net
Wed Nov 14 09:52:28 MST 2007

On 11/09/2007 01:00 PM, andy wrote:
> Glen, I'm kind of like an idiot savant without any of the
> savant. That's why I use Ubuntu, it's practically idiot proof,
> except for me. I'm their glowing exception to the rule.
>
> I might give Debian a try sometime, but I really do like Ubuntu
> when I can get it all working correctly.

Debian Etch, before it became stable, was the first Linux OS that
I installed and used consistently. It was almost painless and
everything I wanted just worked.

If you are running Ubuntu, then I assume you accept many of the
defaults, like Gnome as the Desktop Environment. You can do the
same with Debian. Just install and choose the Desktop option
somewhere along the lines, and you will be running Gnome and most
everything will just work. It's no harder to add drivers for
Debian than it is for Ubuntu.

I have played around with Ubuntu as well, and here's my take on
it. If it does what you want it to out of the box, then it's good
enough (notice I didn't say great). If, on the other hand, you
have to configure it, you might as well start with Debian.

--
Glen