[Tfug] Anybody try "wicd" as a replacement for Network Manager?

Ryan Cresawn jrcresawn at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 12:55:08 MST 2007

On Nov 14, 2007 10:41 AM, Earl <earljviolet at juno.com> wrote:
> Glen, another point about Debian.  I have a Dell PIII GX110, 512 MB memory.  Pretty vanilla, I thought.  I planned a lot of Linux experimenting with different distros.  Of the several distros I tried, the only one I got to even boot the CD was Debian Etch -- Oh, and Ubuntu 6.10.
>
> I run a working version of Debian Etch that does everything I want from a 4GB drive with no problems.  I use a cartridge and have no problem switching from machine to machine so far.  Just reconfigure X and go.
>
> Debian was no harder to set up than Ubuntu (if I could get Ubuntu to load) and I can use FVWM and the programs I want --- a challenge on my Dell Laptop with Ubuntu pre-installed.
>
> Earl

Earl,

The stars must be aligned.  I too have a Dell OptiPlex GX110 with
Debian Etch.  That computer is my home server.  I use it primarily as
a backup server.  Mine is a tower.  I have two internal IDE disks for
/ and swap which are RAID-1.  I also bought a USB 2.0 PCI card and two
external 250 GB disks.  These are also RAID-1.  The backup software I
use is Dirvish, which uses rsync and hard links.  The computer has no
monitor, keyboard, or mouse.  It works great.  I had Solaris 10 x86
installed on it but I got bitten by a terrible bug in their patch
management software, smpatch.  After installing a patch my computer
was not able to boot.  Shortly after that I reinstalled it with Debian
and haven't looked back.

Ryan  :-)