[Tfug] DVD-RW part II

Earl earljviolet at juno.com
Sat Nov 10 07:38:28 MST 2007

Well, if it can RW, the pinning is probably OK, but here goes.

Looking at the back, the 3 pins are usually (I've never seen different).  Left is cable select (CS); center, slave (SL); right, master (MA).  Sometimes cable select works and sometimes not.  Sometimes both the hard drive and CD/DVD need to be set at CS.  It sounds like things are set right if you can RW DVDs and use the HD.

That's the extent of my knowledge/experience.  Check the capacitors on the mother board.  If they are going bad, that will cause some strangeness, if not now, later.  Also being a Dell accounts for some strangeness.

Sometimes a CD/DVD seems to work in one machine and not another at the BIOS level too.  No explanation.

Earl
"God made man, Sam Colt made men equal."
"The fates guide him who will, him who won't they drag" Spengler

-- "Predrag Punosevac" <punosevac72 at gmail.com> wrote:
I just forgot to say in my previous message that the only thing I have not
tried is to set jumpers
on the DVD-RW in some other position. I left them as they were when I got
DVD-RW.
Could anybody tell me something more about those options.

Thank
Predrag

Tucson Free Unix Group - tfug at tfug.org
Subscription Options: