[Tfug] DVD-RW problem

Predrag Punosevac punosevac72 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 10 00:51:38 MST 2007

Dear All,
I was wondering, if I could get some advice on the hardware issue I have.
I got an old DeLL Dimension L1000R from the
U of A auction for $5. It turns out that computer is PIII with 1Gz
processor, 512Mb RAM and 10 Gb hard drive (pretty sweet).
The computer came with CDROM and as I had spare DVD-RW (got from a friend
of mine $3) I decided to "upgrade" the thing.

To make long story short I discovered that I was able to use DVD features
in full (DVD watching, data DVD and burning DVD) but
when I put data CD or music CD the computer just hangs. DVD-RW is very
noisy but no action on the screen.

I tried to investigate this problem little bit and I think I located the
problem to BIOS or Hardware itself rather than the Operating System
(FreeBSD).

I tried to boot the computer from the DVD-RW the system would still
hang. I tried all possible combinations in BIOS. I tried to use IDE cable
(hard drive blue head for DVD-RW as it is used on some DeLL systems) and
an old CD-ROM cable that came with original CD-ROM. Nothing worked. System
see the DVD-RW but I can not use any type of CD.

Now I do know that some of older DVD-RW didn't recognize CD but my friend
assured me that this DVD-RW is not one of those.

I also tried to compare the values of the BIOS from another DeLL dimension
XPS T600r (has a DVD-R) and I notice that the BIOS is different and that
IDE controller is set as CD-ROM plus some other options. I tried select
similar options with DeLL dimension but it is not possible to make them
identical as they have different BIOS and hence options.
There is also difference in the hardware as Dimension XPS T600r has DVD-R
on the primary IDE controller as master (slave is HD)
In the case of Dimension L1000R the hard drive is on the primary IDE
controller and the original CD-ROM was on the secondary IDE controller.

By the was CD-ROM was working flawlessly.

Could anybody give me any input on this issue.

It is not big deal of course but I just want to understand what is the
problem and is it fixable.

Thanks in advance

Predrag