[Tfug] Video stuff

Quag7 deepspace at dataswamp.net
Fri Nov 9 16:54:52 MST 2007

On Friday 09 November 2007 3:41:53 pm Don Freeman wrote:
> Hi all. I am just beginning to explore making DVD's from saved video files.
> I was wondering if someone could give me some pointers on the various video
> formats and the best (easiest to use with good quality) editing software.
> My digitizer will save in AVI, MPEG, and MPEG2 formats and a couple of
> others that are less familiar. I basically just want to cut out the
> commercials and burn to DVD. Pretty basic stuff.
>
> Any hobbyists out there who'd care to share a few pointers?

I've been trying to find a decent video editing package for Linux for awhile.
Unfortunately, there are none:

Cinelerra - Much is made of this being somehow a complicated interface.  It is
quirky, but learnable.  Unfortunately, it is rickety and unstable enough for
it not to be an option on my machine (64 bit Gentoo).  Maybe you'll have more
luck.  I really wish this ran better; I can deal with its outdated and quirky
interface, but it crashes too often for it to be practical for my purposes,
even if I save frequently.

KDEnlive - The best hope for a reasonable consumer-level video editing
program.  The interface is good, but again, on my system, it is extremely
unstable, enough for it not to be something I can rely on.  I have some hope
for this program.  Try it on your machine if you aren't squicky about putting
KDE stuff on.  Of the ones listed here, it reminds me most of Adobe Premiere.
Maybe it's just my system and configuration that's so unstable.

Kino - This is an odd program.  The idea is you keep chopping pieces of video,
over and over, discarding the pieces you don't want.  So you split, discard,
split, discard.  This takes a little getting used to, but on the plus side it
is fairly stable, and provides a basic end-to-end solution for editing (it
can dump your video from your camera as well).  I've successfully used this
to edit video, but it takes a little patience; once you understand its
approach, you can move pretty quick.

avidemux - The main use of this program is macro-level stuff like converting
between formats and bitrates, chopping off tops and bottoms of video, etc.
It will probably come in handy for your finished product.

I am considering re-installing Windows XP in a dual boot configuration (gasp!)
exclusively because of the video editing deficiencies in Linux.   I can get
by with Kino for basics.  Your needs - cutting out commercials - make it
sound like this might be a good bet.  Have a little patience in the
beginning; once you catch on, it's pretty easy.

  -Quag7