[Tfug] Video stuff

Jeffry Johnston tfug at kidsquid.com
Fri Nov 9 16:16:12 MST 2007

Hi,

Not sure about editing software (I've looked at a few and don't remember
being overly impressed with any), but I've authored DVDs under Linux, with
menus, etc, all using command line tools (well, and The Gimp of course :).
It takes a it of effort to figure out how it all works, since the
documentation is rather lacking.  If you're interested let me know and I can
help.  Building menus and etc by hand is definitely not a simple task, but
it is doable with patience and effort; results can be impressive, since you
have complete control.

As an aside, I've been working on a small project for family and friends
that lets them upload their videos to my site.  Then it re-encodes the
videos, creates a DVD, and sends them the ISO.  However, I'm not on a very
fast connection (well, as far as DVD ISO's goes) so I wouldn't be able to
open it for widespread use, and I bet it'd be too basic for most people
anyhow (unless someone has more bandwidth and disk space than they know what
to do with and wants to host.  Ooh, that reminds me, I don't think I've put
GPL headers on yet.. gotta do that!).  It's been a fun project so far.  I
used python for the cgi script and more complicated server side scripts, and
bash for some of the simpler ones.  It's a little more involved than I first
imagined.  The server isn't very fast, so I send the videos to my desktop
machine (when it's on) for encoding (etc) and send the ISO back to the
server when it's done.  Therefore, it has to deal with silly things like the
destop machine being shut down in the middle of an operation.

Jeff