[Tfug] How to allow the user to reboot?

jblais joe.blais at pti-instruments.com
Fri Nov 9 16:15:12 MST 2007

> On Fri, Nov 09, 2007 at 02:43:57PM -0700, jblais wrote:
> > Generally you need to be root to do a '/sbin/shutdown -h now',
> so, how does
> > the gnome desktop do a shutdown when you're a regular user?
> >
> > Can that command be accessed by a user's script?
>
> While I realize that you've already solved the issue, it's important
>
> Claude

Well...

In sudoers, I modified the sample line to look like this:

%joeb  ALL=/sbin/shutdown -h now  NOPASSWD: ALL

I've tried a number of variations on the theme, but .. originally ALL was
localhost and I didn't have a NOPASSWD phrase.  When I tried it, it would
ask for a password, If I gave it the root password - my "attempt" got
reported, and eventually when I entered the command, it immediately got
nasty with me.  When I gave it my password, it said "Not at this time"

something like that anyway...

Thanks

joe