[Tfug] Anybody try "wicd" as a replacement for Network Manager?

Ryan Cresawn jrcresawn at gmail.com
Fri Nov 9 11:50:40 MST 2007

On Nov 9, 2007 11:15 AM, Glen Pfeiffer <glen at thepfeiffers.net> wrote:
> If you want something more stable than Gutsy, you might want to
> try Debian Stable or Testing. They are more stable than Feisty
> and Gutsy. They might be lacking some drivers, but they are
> normally available; you just have to install them yourself.
>
> Then you can try installing the wicd deb. If that does not work,
> just compile it yourself.
>
> --
> Glen

I agree with you about Debian Etch (stable) being more stable than
Ubuntu; however, in my case I would have a lot of work to do to get
things working that work out of the box in Ubuntu.  I believe my Intel
965GM graphics card is not supported in Etch, Xorg is too old, and my
high resolution screen, 1680x1050, is only supported by applying a
patch to the 915resolution source.  Plus, I know that the hda-intel
sound driver and wifi card will both be headaches.  Still, I have
considered installing Debian Etch since I'm sure I could get those
features working with some work.  The one thing I know would work well
is Wicd as it works great on Debian Etch on an old PowerPC iBook I
have.

Ryan