[Tfug] Anybody try "wicd" as a replacement for Network Manager?

Ryan Cresawn jrcresawn at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 22:45:29 MST 2007

On Nov 7, 2007 9:01 PM, andy <andyjones at cox.net> wrote:
> I just reinstalled the Wicd and it seems to all be working now.  I did
> find this in Ubuntu...
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Gutsy_Intel_HD_Audio_Controller
>
> don't know if this is any better/worse than using the backport, but it
> lists both yours and my computers as those that are effected.
>
> Andy

If you follow the bug id (#3131133) at the top of that wiki page
you'll find a very long discussion about the problems people faced
with sound with the hda-intel driver during the testing period of
Gutsy and then after its release.  Some of the posts on that bug are
mine.  In my opinion using the backports package is the simplest
solution.  Hopefully this issue will be solved with the incorporation
of alsa-driver-1.0.15 or later into the kernel released with Ubuntu
8.04.  Until then, I plan to use the backports package.

I'm glad that sound and wi-fi are now working for you.  Yea!  :-)

Ryan