[Tfug] mail problem

Jim Secan jim at nwra.com
Mon Nov 5 11:17:18 MST 2007

Background:  I have had to reconfigure my LAN setup so that I present only
one IP address to the world (my router/firewall) rather than the 16 I had
previously.  I now use port forwarding on my router for stuff that needs to
get through (mail, http, and DNS ports are forwarded).  I use sendmail on
one of my Linux servers (running FC3) as my mail server.  Since the change,
when I send mail there is a 20-30 second delay (seen as mail being held in
the queue, and in the "delay" and "xdelay" parameters in maillog entries)
on every piece of mail I send regardless of the client used (eudora or
mail).  This used to be 1-2sec or less for 99% of my outgoing mail.  All
local mail still goes quickly.  I run my own DNS, but my ISP provides my
reverse lookup (which is still munged).  Any ideas as to what might be
causing this delay?

TIA
Jim
| Jim Secan           | Northwest Research Assoc, Inc |
| (jim at nwra.com)      | 2455 E. Speedway, Suite 204   |
| (520) 319-7773      | Tucson, Arizona 85719         |