[Tfug] Machine Rehabilitation

erich erich1 at copper.net
Tue Jun 12 09:27:05 MST 2007

Yeah,
      If it's x86 architecture, you're probably better off with
pre-compiled *.rpm's or
*.deb's. I had to use Gentoo for an alpha. Why? Debian was dragging it's
feet in
getting up-to-date *.deb's for an architecture that they're not making
anymore.
      Every package on this machine was built from source. My alpha has
a new
lease on life. I'm using it to write this e-mail. Incidentally, you
don't have to build
everything in Gentoo like you once had to. They now provide pre-compiled
binaries
for some of the bigger packages like OpenOffice & KDE.

Erich