[Tfug] No warranty for software

sitkaa at email.arizona.edu sitkaa at email.arizona.edu
Wed Sep 27 19:50:03 MST 2006

Okay, so if a computer has a software glitch, the computer software is
expected
to be fixed, hopefully ASAP or at least in the next update. Computer software
is already so complex, mistakes are bound to happen. Simplifying the software
to iron out the glitches is the whole point of OpenBSD.

However if a cell phone, IPOD, or other single use device, with simpler
software, and a not-so-readily updatable programatic interface has a glitch,
people are more likely to be upset with the device. It comes as a whole
package.

I don't like it when Microsoft melts down, but I can fix it, even if I have to
rebuild the system from scratch (as I am right now on my laptop). I don't have
that option with a cellphone or IPOD. Or is this changing?

Really I can't keep up with all the techie changes that are occurring all the
time, nor do I try to. I am just offering a potential justification for the
behavior of the mass zombie mind.

Hell, most people even think the WTC was destroyed by 19 terrorists with box
cutters. Explain that!