[Tfug] CD-R Problem on FC-2

Jim Secan jim at nwra.com
Thu Oct 28 10:55:27 MST 2004

I've just updated a system that had been running RH8 to fedora core 2
(2.6.8-1.521 kernel; clean install, not an update) and I've lost the
ability to burn CDs (I have a Sony ATAPI drive).  I had been using xcdroast
under RH8 with no problems.  Now I've tried xcdroast, k3b, and in final
desperation cdrecord directly.  I also tried writing an iso to a blank CD
using nautilus (which does detect that there is a blank CD in the burner).
In all cases I've tried as a user and as root, with the same result - the
entire system locks up at some point in the process requiring a hardware
reset.

I didn't notice any odd complaints from cdrecord (other than a statement
that this was a version modified to handle DVD and don't bother the author
with problems), and it hung up both times I tried to burn a CD with a last
output line of:

Drive buf size = 1821440 = 1774 KB

After this is displayed on the terminal screen the system is still running
for 10s of seconds, and then it just locks up.  I believe all the other
things I've tried eventually use cdrecord to do the dirty work, so I think
the problem is with cdrecord.

I've not had time to rftm (CDR HOWTO) yet, and I've been told that it
hasn't been updated to deal with issues related to the 2.6 kernel.  Has
anyone run into this problem before?

TIA
Jim