[Tfug] PuTTY security fix released

Angus Scott-Fleming angussf at geoapps.com
Thu Oct 28 08:28:46 MST 2004

For those of you with Windows users, or still using Windows boxes to manage your *nix boxes,

------- Included Stuff Follows -------
PuTTY: a free telnet/ssh client

2004-10-26 ANOTHER SECURITY HOLE, fixed in PuTTY 0.56

  PuTTY 0.56, released today, fixes a serious security
  hole which can allow a server to execute code of its
  choice on a PuTTY client connecting to it. In SSH2, the
  attack can be performed before host key verification,
  meaning that even if you trust the server you think you
  are connecting to, a different machine could be
  impersonating it and could launch the attack before you
  could tell the difference. We recommend everybody
  upgrade to 0.56 as soon as possible.

  That's two really bad holes in three months. I'd like to
  apologise to all our users for the inconvenience.

--------- Included Stuff Ends ---------

Angus Scott-Fleming
GeoApps, Tucson, Arizona
1-520-290-5038 / fax 1-208-248-3124