[Tfug] Upgrading Kernel

Zach Nation znation at email.arizona.edu
Tue Oct 19 21:52:05 MST 2004

When you download a kernel source tarball from here: http://www.kernel.org/

Then it extracts into the folder linux-2.x.y wherever you extracted it.

For instance, "cd /usr/src; tar -xvf /path/to/linux-2.x.y.tar.gz" will
put the folder linux-2.x.y in /usr/src.. you do cd /usr/src/linux-2.x.y
to go there. It's often helpful to symlink that to /usr/src/linux, but
may or may not be required depending on your distribution.

I don't know about the build and install process on a Mac, but the
source package should be the same, and tar should -definitely- be doing
the same thing to it. If you're not using a vanilla kernel source
tarball from kernel.org, I recommend doing so unless your distribution
can't handle it.

-- Zach

Wayde Gutman wrote:
> I have Yellow Dog Linux 2.2 running on an iMac 333-mhz and feels that I
> should rplace the 2.4.18 kernel with the 2.4.25 or 2.4.26 kernel,
> instead of going out a buying Yellow Dog Linux 4.0.
> Problem is that when I do 'tar -xvpf blahblah blah' or 'tar xzvf
> blahblahblah' that I don't get a ~/linux directory that I can cd into in
> order to do the compile process. What I do find is 'vmlinux' already
> existing within the subdirectory. That doesn't make sense.
>
> I have tried the Bit Keeper version, by Ben, wherever I can find a
> kernel for the ppc. Same results.
>
> SOOO, what am I doing wrong ? Yes I have compiled new kernels, on i386
> boxes though, within Red Hat, Fedora, Debian, Libranet, Caldera, SuSE,
> Slackware, you name it. My mindset is 'Linux is Linux', which may be
> tripping me up in regards to powerpc.
>
> Looking forward to your inputs,
>
> Wayde Gutman
> Saddlebrooke

I support GnuPG encryption. Ask me for my public key!