[Tfug] Upgrading Kernel

Stephen Hooper schooper at email.arizona.edu
Tue Oct 19 21:32:45 MST 2004

On Tue, 2004-10-19 at 13:49, Wayde Gutman wrote:
> I have Yellow Dog Linux 2.2 running on an iMac 333-mhz and feels that I
> should rplace the 2.4.18 kernel with the 2.4.25 or 2.4.26 kernel,
> instead of going out a buying Yellow Dog Linux 4.0.
> Problem is that when I do 'tar -xvpf blahblah blah' or 'tar xzvf
> blahblahblah' that I don't get a ~/linux directory that I can cd into in
> order to do the compile process. What I do find is 'vmlinux' already
> existing within the subdirectory. That doesn't make sense.

Dude!

Which subdirectory is which, why are you looking for "linux" under your
home directory, what is it you are untarring, and what does tar give you
back on the display when you untar "blahblah" with the "v" option (as
both your examples do).

Granted, this is unfamiliar territory for me, so these may all be
YellowDoggian a-priori concepts.

Just a guess, but if you are trying to untar to your home directory, I
would use the "P" option to tar, something like this:

cd ~ ; tar xvPf blahblah

Then probably look for ~/usr/src/linux.  Of course, the "v" should
output the filenames of whatever was extracted from the tar file.

> I have tried the Bit Keeper version, by Ben, wherever I can find a
> kernel for the ppc. Same results.
>
> SOOO, what am I doing wrong ? Yes I have compiled new kernels, on i386
> boxes though, within Red Hat, Fedora, Debian, Libranet, Caldera, SuSE,
> Slackware, you name it. My mindset is 'Linux is Linux', which may be
> tripping me up in regards to powerpc.

I would pretty much assume the same thing: "/usr/src/linux" for the
kernel sources, make config, etc.  I have built on HPPA, SuperH, and
they have both been pretty much the same as building for i386.

Hopefully, somebody else here understands what you are trying to do
better than I.