[Tfug] Fedora vrs. RHEL

Jim Secan jim at nwra.com
Mon Oct 18 12:02:01 MST 2004

I'm wanting to upgrade a commercial product (compiler) that is purported to
work on the RHEL v3 WS distro.  The vendor (sales, anyway) says they don't
support Fedora and don't know if they ever will.  I had thought that Fedora
and RHEL were going to be pretty close to the same distro, with RHEL
lagging Fedora for the sake of stability and providing more glitz and
hand-holding than Fedora (a little bit being more than none).  Am I off
base here, or will something that says it will run on RHEL vX also run on
whatever Fedora release corresponds to X?  If yes, is there some way to
cross-reference RHEL versions to Fedora versions?

TIA
Jim