[Tfug] Web/DB form processing, IE double posting

Choprboy choprboy at dakotacom.net
Thu Oct 14 15:01:44 MST 2004

Anybody have problems with IE double posting form data into their website
forms? This is just completely screwing up my database. I have been racking
my brain trying to figure out why this is happening and had to resort to
ugly, ugly lock-step hacks in my web code to try and catch and delete the
second post information. But I'm still having lots of problems with double
entries into my database.

I originally thought it was a website problem, but after lots and lots of
debugging, network sniffing, and following logs, every case has been a double
post by IE. For example, I see something like:

10.0.0.101 Oct-01 12:01:23 GET /dataform.php HTTP/1.1 (IE)
<some time goes by as the user fills in the form>
10.0.0.101 Oct-01 12:02:34 POST /dataform.php HTTP/1.1 (IE)
10.0.0.101 Oct-01 12:01:35 POST /dataform.php HTTP/1.1 (IE)

I have been screaming of the users about double-clicking the form submit,
which they swear they don't... After a lot of Googling I finally found this
(unfortunately, "double post" in Google is overwhelled by rules/complaints
about double/crossposting to forums):
http://forums.devshed.com/showthread.php?t=50160&page=1&pp=15

Can somebody give me some more info about this if they've seen it? Or better
yet, a work around that doesn't have to be applied to every webform?

Adrian