[Tfug] Spaces in Filenames (was Samba question - using the Eller...)

Michael Stenner mstenner at ece.arizona.edu
Tue Oct 5 10:05:46 MST 2004

On Sun, Oct 03, 2004 at 04:08:35PM -0700, ewf wrote:
> Yes,
>         I used to get e-mails with attachments represented by a
> filename populated
> with blanks.  I used to see  this more prevalently in the Mac world.
> Owners of
> Macs had a penchant for this, but recently its been a non-issue because
> of the
> security risk that's grown around attachments.

I know you weren't saying they SHOULDN'T, only that they DID.
However, it seems completely reasonable that Mac users would use
spaces in filenames.  The only thing that makes spaces seem wacky to
us is the importance of the command shell (and a few other things,
perhaps) that uses whitespace as an argument delimiter.  Given the
graphical nature of macs and the (previous) lack of a shell, spaces in
names seem natural.

I think this is one necessary effect of a text interface: some parts
of text must take on special meaning, and therefore, their use might
become confusing.  It's not just spaces:  "dad's car.jpg"

					-Michael

  Michael D. Stenner                            mstenner at ece.arizona.edu
  ECE Department, the University of Arizona                 520-626-1619
  1230 E. Speedway Blvd., Tucson, AZ 85721-0104                 ECE 524G