[Tfug] OT: discarded laptops

Linux Media linuxmedia2 at aim.com
Tue Sep 12 04:44:53 MST 2017

Hi,

Does anyone know of a place that has discarded laptops. I say
'discarded' because being that I run Linux, I don't need a fully
functioning laptop where some refurbish center is going to charge me for
installing Windows and matching it up with a slow hard drive. I have a
hard drive and 2 universal power supplies, so I may not even need a
power supply. My dying laptop may even have the necessary ram. I would
even buy a laptop without a battery.

There was a used store in Tucson a few years ago where they had simple
laptops with various configurations. Because they were a thrift store
and weren't an actual computer refurbishing center, I just paid for the
basic laptop and put the rest together myself. In fact, I bought two of
the same model and they have served me well for years.

I could buy on ebay, but I would love to show up with my universal power
supply and look at BIOS's and see what's there and possibly buy several
of the same model for spare parts. Besides, it's nice to walk away with
something on the same day instead of missing the UPS guy and having to
chase him around.

Alternatively, if anyone has an old laptop or partially stripped down
laptop to sell I would be up for checking it out. My needs are minimal
so don't need anything too powerful.

Thanks,
Rocco