[Tfug] Roll your own Mac

Zack Breckenridge zbrdge at gmail.com
Tue Sep 23 14:01:10 MST 2014

Yeah, I personally recommend buying a used mac mini for this reason. I just
purchased a 2011 mac mini with only 4GB of RAM and it runs the latest copy
of yosemite just fine for the purpose of messing around with OS X, using
Xcode every now and then, etc.

The "hackintosh" route is more of a sport and a constant battle against the
changes Apple introduces. For example, they recently changed the boot
process in Yosemite enough that popular hackintosh bootloaders (e.g.
Chameleon) have to play catch up. I'm sure they're doing just fine, but
they probably have plenty of bugs too.

Then theres the Apple SMC chips and the fact that the core hardware is
basically Nvidia and Intel. Allegedly plenty of people have gotten AMD
hardware and other graphics hardware to work, but I think its more trouble
than its worth, as any non-apple hardware will require custom kexts.

I truly wish apple would open up OS X a bit more to non-apple hardware or
at least facilitate its use in virtualized environments such as KVM.
There's a lot of possibility that I think they're missing out on.

Zack B.