[Tfug] Re-learning website development

Zack Williams zdwzdw at gmail.com
Wed May 28 09:09:52 MST 2014

On Tue, May 27, 2014 at 11:43 PM, John Gruenenfelder
<jetpackjohn at gmail.com> wrote:
>  I would like it to be dynamically generated and be more like a simple
> CMS (Content Management System) where I can, via an admin page on that site,
> add new articles/pages to my own site without needing to manually edit the
> HTML source files.

Is there a reason you want a dynamic generator?  Static site
generators have come a long ways recently, and you can generally write
in a minimal text-based format (Markdown, Textile, and others) then
have it transform the pages into a site:

http://staticsitegenerators.net

Keep the whole thing in SCM, upload via rsync, and you don't have to
mess with databases, speed issues, etc.

If you do want a dynamic site, I'm a fan of Drupal as well.  It can do
amazing things without you ever having to touch code.  Learn to use
the drush shell tool to install/update/backup it, and you'll be in
really good shape.

- Zack