[Tfug] Re-learning website development

Claude Jager-Rubinson cjr at grundrisse.org
Wed May 28 06:54:38 MST 2014

On Tue, May 27, 2014 at 11:43:21PM -0700, John Gruenenfelder wrote:
> The advice I'm looking for is where do I start to update my knowledge?  What
> framework should I look at, if any?  I know *of* Ruby on Rails, Node.js, and
> some others, but not much *about* them.  What back-end language would you
> recommend?  Ruby, Python, Java?  I think that whichever path I take I'll need
> to spend some time re-learning JavaScript, since that is how one communicates
> with the browser, correct?

What I'd recommend is to read through Reuven Lerner's old Linux
Journal columns.  He wrote their web development column for years and
does a really good job of both giving you a taste of what different
technologies are like, as well as going into depth with series of
articles focusing on one particular technology.  He also periodically
does roundups of book reviews.

All (or most?) of his columns are up at: http://lerner.co.il/atf

Claude