[Tfug] Cable test fail

Adrian choprboy at dakotacom.net
Tue Jan 14 21:19:09 MST 2014

It was made wrong. From your description, it sounds like it should be a normal
straight cable. Normal 10/100base pairs used would be 1+2 and 3+6 (1000base
and some obscure 10/100 variants use all 4 pairs). A normal straight-thru Cat5
cable would have the following wire pairing:
1+2  ->  1+2
3+6  ->  3+6
4+5  ->  4+5
7+8  ->  7+8

A cross-over cable would have:
1+2  ->  3+6
3+6  ->  1+2
4+5  ->  7+8
7+8  ->  4+5

Instead yours has has a defect I would normally refer to as a "roll". One wire
was misplaced (the #6 wire into the #3 slot) and the subsequent wires roll
down one space. A split would normally be defined as swapping two wires in the
same or between two different pairs at one (or both) ends.

Adrian