[Tfug] Ethernet frame "immutables" wrt switch silicon

Zack Breckenridge zbrdge at gmail.com
Sat May 11 14:09:13 MST 2013

This is an interesting question... I don't have your answer, but it's
fun to speculate. From Wikipedia:

"A frame starts with a 7-byte preamble and 1-byte start frame
delimiter (SFD)...the corresponding hexadecimal representation is 0x55
0x55 0x55 0x55 0x55 0x55 0x55 0xD5.

PHY transceiver chips used for Fast Ethernet feature a 4-bit (one
nibble) Media Independent Interface. Therefore the preamble will
consist of 14 instances of 0x5, and the start frame delimiter 0x5 0xD.
Gigabit Ethernet transceiver chips use a Gigabit Media Independent
Interface that works 8-bits at a time, and 10 Gbit/s (XGMII) PHY works
with 32-bits at a time."

Then there's the rest of the frame, and an interframe gap. So what
happens when some "non conforming" hardware ignores the interframe
gap, or somehow mangles/overlaps frame start sequences, etc? I'm
willing to bet this "smallest" frame portion is undocumented/assumed
for the obvious reason that manufacturers aren't handling all of the
possibilities.. It might be a fun hardware experiment to see how
different switches react :)