[Tfug] 1U keyboard+monitor drawer

Zack Williams zdwzdw at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 16:28:17 MST 2012

On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 3:53 PM, Bexley Hall <bexley401 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> it up you need a spring/hinge contraption in the back that has the
>> right amount of torque for the weight of the monitor so that it will
>> keep it in place at the angle it's adjusted to.
>
> I had assumed a "friction hold" where you "bend" a pivot point
> until it's in the right orientation.  Note that you can also
> move some of this mechanism to the part of the bracket that
> is fastened to the drawer (instead of the "monitor end")

Yeah, that's where mine pivot's from - right behind the keyboard.
You could probably hack together something with a few standard hinges
and a kickstand on the back, if you can manage to find a sliding tray
large enough to support the "reclined" monitor.

> Dunno.  I'm not a mech eng but it doesn't sound like it would be
> an impossible problem to solve.  I would imagine the bigger
> issue would be "lack of demand" -- why reduce the price and
> increase the "risk"/effort required on the part of the customer
> when the customer *probably* has money set aside for this sort
> of thing in their budget (or, end of year budget boondoggles)

Exactly - "enterprise" = money no object.  Gold plated everything.
Then, a year later, I buy the $x000 dual port 20 gigabit infiniband
cards for $15/ea off of eBay.

> I have a spare arm I got in an auction lot that you are welcome to.
> It's 1U with about a 20" extension (?) and will easily accommodate
> a power cord, video, mouse and keyboard cables.  No idea if your
> existing drawer has provisions to attach it but I'm sure you could
> drill a hole and run a bolt through it.  Let me know...

Depending on what it is, I might be interested.  These tend to be very
specific to the unit that they were originally made for.

Thanks,
Zack