[Tfug] Pizza-box power problem

Bexley Hall bexley401 at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 14 11:37:57 MST 2012

[Grrrr... I hate it when I hit SEND too soon!]

On 12/14/2012 11:28 AM, Bexley Hall wrote:
> Note that failing to see crud or bulges is not a conclusive
> indication that the caps are good. You actually have to examine
> them electrically to pronounce them "known good". So, what you're
> looking for is something that tells you "very likely BAD"! :-/

I've also encountered "the" bad cap *inside* the power supply
itself!  So, the MB can look (and *be*!) good -- the problem
lying in the supply, instead.

Ideally, you'd want a voltmeter to look at the actual voltages
coming from the supply (though I suspect these will be nominal)
and a 'scope to see the sorts of ripple you're encountering
(which is a sign of how well/poorly the caps are performing
their duties).

If you opt to try a repair, decide how much more life you want
to squeeze from the beast.  For things like LCD monitors (easier
to repair than motherboards since they are only two-layer boards
instead of the 4 or 6 layers you find on a motherboard -- along
with all the excess "land" to reduce IR drops and move heat),
I use 5000 hour devices.  Cost a bit more but I know I won't be
replacing them "again"  :>

[If you have suspicions re: whether or not a cap is bulged/oozing,
feel free to PM photo(s) -- but note that sharp FOCUS is far more
important than "resolution" (I'm not keen on having to wait for
an 2MB photo to download when a 100KB photo has just as much
information in it!)]